Confucius Institute Scholarship
Your Path to Chinese Language and Culture Excellence
Confucius Institute Scholarship Overview
For international students, the Confucius Institute Scholarship is a fully financed scholarship. More than 150 Chinese universities are offering this grant to students interested in studying Chinese language and culture. The CIS scholarship includes tuition, housing costs, health insurance, and a monthly personal spending allowance.
The demand for these scholarships is high among students all across the world. The mission of the Confucius Institute, a government organisation, is to advance understanding of Chinese culture and language worldwide.
Scholarships from the Confucius Institute are available for a variety of PhD programmes, research stays, attendance at conferences abroad, and Chinese language and culture classes. You might browse here if you’re interested in learning more about scholarships for postgraduate students and researchers.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship encompasses a range of advantages designed to support your academic pursuits and living expenses:
- Tuition and Lodging: The scholarship covers your tuition fees and provides lodging in a university residence, typically shared with another student.
- Monthly Allowance: Scholarship recipients receive a monthly allowance to cover personal expenses. The amount varies based on the program:
- BTCSOL Students or Chinese Language and Culture Course: 2,500 Yuan per month (approximately 350 USD).
- MTCSOL Students: 3,000 Yuan per month (equivalent to around 420 USD).
- Housing Flexibility: Students now have the option to live off-campus, and the Confucius Institute offers an additional 700 Yuan per month to assist with rental expenses in such cases.
- Scholarship Renewal: For scholarships extending beyond one year, recipients’ performance is annually reviewed. Exceptional results are required for full funding renewal, while average performance may lead to partial funding or non-renewal.
- Flight Expenses: Depending on your country of origin, the Confucius Institute may cover international flight expenses for your arrival and departure to/from China.
Categories and Duration
The Confucius Institute Scholarship offers various categories to suit your academic goals:
- Chinese Language and Culture Scholarships: These are available in three durations:
- Academic Year: 11 months, commencing in September or March.
- Academic Semester: 5 months, either from September to January (winter) or March to July (summer).
- Four-Week Scholarships: Intensive one-month courses during winter (December-January) or summer (July-August) holidays.
- Scholarships for Future Chinese Language Teachers: There are three modalities:
- MTCSOL: 2 academic years.
- 1-Year Chinese Language and Culture + 2 Years MTCSOL: Total of 3 academic courses.
- BTCSOL: 4 academic courses.
To be eligible for the Confucius Institute Scholarship 2024, you must meet specific criteria:
- Non-Chinese nationality and good health, with the ability to process a residence permit in China for stays exceeding six months.
- Age between 16 and 35 (extended to 45 for current Chinese teachers). Undergraduate scholarship applicants must not exceed 20 years of age.
- Proficiency in Chinese language based on HSK and BCT scores, depending on the scholarship type.
- Educational qualifications, including diplomas and academic records, as specified for different scholarship categories.
- Letters of recommendation, one or two depending on the scholarship, signed by your Confucius Institute’s coordinator.
- Preference given to MTCSOL applicants with plans to work as Chinese language professors after completing their studies in China.
- If applying for one-semester or four-week scholarships, you should not have studied in China previously.
Application Process for Confucius Institute Scholarship
Follow these steps to apply for the Confucius Institute Scholarship:
- Application Deadline: Apply until early May (for September start) or early November (for March start).
- Application Submission: If you’re a Confucius Institute student, contact the scholarship coordinator. Apply online on the official Confucius Institute scholarships page and submit scanned documents, including your passport and a passport-sized photo.
- Paper Documents: Submit required paper documents, preferably certified copies, to your Confucius Institute’s scholarship coordinator. They will send them to Hanban’s headquarters in China.
- Result Announcement: Scholarship results are typically posted on the official Confucius Institute scholarships page in early July (for September starters) or early January (for March starters).
- Visa Process: After the results are announced, you will receive the necessary documents for visa processing by postal mail, which can take over a month.
Prepare diligently and seize the opportunity to explore the wonders of Chinese language and culture through the Confucius Institute Scholarship.
To Apply: Confucius Institute Scholarship
For More Scholarships in UK:Scholarships in UK
For Scholarships in Australia:Scholarships in Australia