Dylan Thomas Centenary Scholarships at Swansea University in UK 2014-2015
Swansea University is offering four writing scholarships for EU, UK and international students. Each scholarship is worth £3000 towards tuition fees. Scholarships are awarded to study either the MA Creative Writing or MA Welsh Writing in English programmes. Application should be submitted till 2nd June 2014 for 2014-2015 academic year.
- Scholarships are awarded to study either the MA Creative Writing or MA Welsh Writing in English programmes at Swansea University.
- Scholarships are available for pursuing taught masters degree.
- The College of Arts and Humanities and the International Development Office at Swansea University, UK is providing this scholarships.
- Swansea-born Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) – poet, short-story writer and pioneer of radio drama – was a rock-star of literature before rock-stars had been invented. His restlessly innovative writings were recognised worldwide in his own short lifetime, not least in his rumbustious reading tours of America, and he remains one of the most extraordinary and original writers of the twentieth century. Swansea and west Wales, where he wrote the greater part of his oeuvre, were crucial to his art, which benefited from the creative tension of growing up in a cultural borderland (between Welsh- and English-speaking Wales, rural and industrial) and from his kicking against the traces of the stifling, middle-class respectability of his ‘ugly, lovely’ hometown. His sensuous, iconoclastic, humorous writing, which took the literary world by storm in the mid-twentieth century, remains both challenging and popular, and will surely claim even more admirers as a result of the Swansea-centred but worldwide celebrations of his work that will be enjoyed in the centenary year of 2014.
- Four writing scholarships are offered (2 MA Creative Writing scholarships and 2 MA Welsh Writing in English scholarships)
- Each scholarship is worth £3000 towards tuition fees.
Eligibility: Applications for the Dylan Thomas Centenary scholarships are open to EU, UK and International students who hold an offer of a full-time place to study either the MA Creative Writing or MA Welsh Writing in English programmes at Swansea University.
- EU, UK and international students can apply for these writing scholarships.
The application deadline is 2nd June 2014.