Fully-Funded PhD Studentship in Engineering at Swansea University in UK 2014
Swansea University’s College of Engineering invites applications for a fully-funded PhD studentship in biomedical engineering and computational modelling. The studentship covers UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend of £13863 p.a. This studentship is open to UK, EU and international students, but only UK/EU fees will be paid. The application deadline is 15th August 2014.
- Studentship is provided in the field of engineering (biomedical engineering and computational modelling) at Swansea University.
- Studentship is available for pursuing PhD degree level at Swansea University.
- Swansea University, UK is providing these scholarships.
- Swansea University’s College of Engineering invites applications for a fully-funded PhD studentship in biomedical engineering and computational modeling. An intricate interaction between the cardiovascular and lymphatic system is responsible for maintaining the fluid balance in the human body. If this balance is disturbed, it can have significant implications for a patient’s health. Computational flow models are ideally suited for simulating the physiology of these two networks in health and disease and to gain an understanding of their interactions. Hence, the aims within this project are two-fold. Firstly the candidate will develop a 1D flow model of the cardiovascular system in pregnancy. The development of this model will be driven by the physiological data from pregnant women that were previously collected by our group. Data is available at different positions and at different stages of pregnancy. The developed model will be able to simulate the corresponding physiological changes. The second aim is to link the cardiovascular model to a lymphatic network model that allows us to study their interactions with a particular interest in the development of lymphoedema.
- The studentship covers UK/EU tuition fees, plus stipends of £13863 p.a. International applicants are welcome, but will be required to pay the difference between UK/EU and overseas fees.
- Please send a CV and covering letter to Dr Raoul van Loon: r.vanloon-at-swansea.ac.uk.
Eligibility: Academic requirements: 1st class degree in Engineering, Physics or Maths (equivalent to 70%) or 2:1 degree (equivalent to 60%) plus a master’s degree. Applicants should also have:
-experience in programming languages such as Matlab and Fortran
-a strong interest in engineering, physics and maths with particular emphasis in computational modelling
-an interest in physiology
Residency requirements: -This studentship is open to UK, EU and international students, but only UK/EU fees will be paid.
-Overseas applicants are welcome, but will be required to pay the difference between home and overseas fees.
- UK/EU and international students can apply for the studentship.
The application deadline is 15th August 2014.