Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellowships for All Nationalities USA Gilliam
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is inviting applications for Gilliam research fellowships to support up to three years of their dissertation research, typically in years three, four and five of their PhD studies. Fellowship is available for EXROP alumni regardless of country of origin or nationally or Students nominated by T32 predoctoral training grant principal investigators (PIs) supported by the National Institute for General Medical Sciences (NIGMS). EXROP alumni will be enrolled in a PhD or equivalent program at any institution of higher education. Students who are nominated by NIGMS T32 programs will conduct their research at the T32 institution.
Fellowship is awarded in the field of;
- Life Sciences/Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences.
Fellowship supports students for up to three years of their dissertation research, typically in years three, four and five of their PhD studies. EXROP alumni will be enrolled in a PhD or equivalent program at any institution of higher education. Students who are nominated by NIGMS T32 programs will conduct their research at the T32 institution.
HHMI’s Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study are open to PhD students who are;
- From racial, ethnic, and other underrepresented groups in the sciences, including those from disadvantaged backgrounds, and
- Ccommitted to the advancement of diversity and inclusion in the sciences.
- The Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study will support students for up to three years of their dissertation research, typically in years three, four, and five of their PhD studies.
- Applicants must be in their second or third year of a PhD program in the life sciences or related sciences and have identified a thesis adviser.
- They must have advanced to candidacy before appointment.
- Students who are enrolled in an MD/PhD (e.g., Medical Scientist Training Program) program are not eligible.
- Applicants will come from two groups:
- Alumni of HHMI’s Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (EXROP), regardless of country of origin or nationally, or
- Students nominated by T32 predoctoral training grant principal investigators (PIs) supported by the National Institute for General Medical Sciences (NIGMS); each nominated student must be training grant eligible but does not need to have been a T32 trainee.
- For the 2015–2016 fellowship year, the total amount awarded to each Gilliam Fellow is $43,000.
- HHMI will provide the funds to the fellowship institution, which in turn will pay the fellow.
- The annual stipend is $30,000.
- There is no dependency allowance.
- In addition to the stipend, the award provides the fellows an annual educational allowance of $3,000, which may be used for professional development–related expenses, including books and supplies, journal subscriptions, computer and computer-related expenses, travel to scientific meetings, professional dues, and tuition for special courses or work shops.
- The educational allowance is intended to be for the fellow and cannot be used by the fellowship institution to pay for institutional fees or research costs.
- HHMI also provides an annual institutional allowance of $10,000 in lieu of tuition and other fees.
- If the cost of tuition and fees is less than $10,000, any remaining funds are to be used for education-related purposes to benefit the fellow or other comparable graduate students at the institution.
- If the cost of tuition and fees normally exceeds $10,000, the institution must agree to waive any amount greater than $10,000.
- The fellowship institution must agree that the fellow will be exempt from tuition and fees normally charged to students of similar academic standing.
- The fellow may elect to use the educational allowance to cover his or her health insurance if insurance coverage is optional at the fellowship institution.
- If health insurance is required at the institution, then the costs should come from the institutional allowance, which is part of this award.
Application Deadline: 20 Nov 2014
Please Click Here to visit the Official website of HHMI Institute.
Share this Scholarship for Others