Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany
Scientists and scholars of all nationalities and disciplines may apply to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation directly at any time. The Humboldt Foundation grants approximately 600 Humboldt Research Fellowships for postdoctoral researchers and experienced researchers annually. Short-term study visits, participation in congresses and training courses cannot be financed.
Deadline: Open all year
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
- Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research project and the proposed timetable must be discussed with the prospective host prior to application.
- Expert references from the doctoral supervisor and two other academics qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including reviewers not working at the applicant’s own institute.
- Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
- The applicant may not have spent an extended period in Germany prior to application. Applications to continue a research stay already underway can only be considered in exceptional cases. If in doubt, candidates who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application should consult the FAQs and check with the Humboldt Foundation ([email protected]) whether formal requirements have been met before submitting an application.
- The Humboldt Foundation assumes that candidates will abide by the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the ethical rules of the 7th EU Framework Programme during the application and sponsorship periods.