UNDP is supporting the government’s effort to implement the decommissioning and normalization aspects of the Bangsamoro peace process. It has designed the Project “Assistance for Security, Peace, Integration and Recovery for Advancing Human Security in BARMM” (ASPIRE for BARMM) to help address the challenge of collecting unregistered personal firearms of both former MILF combatants as well as members of the private armed groups. Due to the significant adverse ratio between decommissioned combatants and firearms “put beyond use,” this challenge has become a point of contention between the parties to the peace process. The programme outcome aims at integrating comprehensive human security policy initiatives, raising from the ones that capture the former combatants’ socio-economic needs to those that promote climate action and disaster risk reduction, which contributes to advancing the local implementation of SDGs among all the people in Mindanao.
As such, UNDP is seeking a Project Communication and Reporting Officer who shall work on supporting communication strategies for the implementation of the ASPIRE project, formulating communications and advocacy strategies, and facilitating knowledge building and management. Moreover, the Project Communication and Reporting Officer will work in close collaboration with the UNDP Peace and Stabilization Programme Team, as well as with UNDP Communications Team, government officials, technical advisors and experts, donors, civil society and locals to successfully implement the project. The Project Communication and Reporting Officer is expected to travel in various areas in Mindanao and BARMM.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support communication strategies for administration and implementation of the project: Develop the Communication Plans and Implementation Timeline of deliverables and activities, including monitoring activity preparation and alerting requirements and deadlines; Undertake and prepare the needed communication requirements for project activities/ events, including preparation of minutes of meetings, background notes, information materials, media relations, photo/ video coverage, speechwriting/ talking points, project updates, monitoring reports, invitations, and press releases; Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, seminars, and interviews; and Responsible for ensuring that UNDP’s (and the donor) branding and visibility guidelines are properly adhered to in project implementation.
- Formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies: Develop key messages of the project for various stakeholders and audiences; Preparation and conduct of communication need assessments for the ASPIRE project; Provision of information for elaboration of project communication and outreach strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and the UNDP Philippines Communications Action Plan; Development of communication materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing and media materials, fact sheets, and case stories in coordination with the Project Manager and UNDP Communications Team; Provision of inputs and researched information in project formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of the project; Document, consolidate, and package key reports into a standard form (basic layout for mass production of IEC) on a monthly basis or as necessary in the project duration; Maintenance of information database and photo library; and Standardization of documents and contribute to reporting tools.
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and management: Work with the project and M&E Analyst in the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the ASPIRE project and UNDP programme country goals and objectives; Assist in the development and distribution of success stories/ case studies of the project; Work and consult with the UNDP Communications Team on all communications related write-ups, press releases, and others to ensure alignment with the CO communications standards; Supervision of publications dissemination; Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice, including corporate communications repositories; Organization and conduct of training and workshops on communications for development as appropriate; Provide advice and guidance on best practices and new and innovative creative ideas to increase engagement and reach with existing and new audiences; and Consolidate all communications materials for project documentation.
- Perform additional related tasks as per the request of the Project Manager.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, be aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Donor Partnerships: Knowledge and understanding of donor strategies, approached processes and systems.
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding.
- CSO Engagement; Knowledge and understanding of CSOs and the ability to engage with CSOs.
- Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfill and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Collective Intelligence Design: Ability to bring together diverse groups of people, data, information or ideas, and technology to design services or solutions.
- Audit (General): Understands how regulations and professional standards in internal and external audit underpin audit work in the public services; Understands the key stages of audit work, including planning, documentation, testing and reporting; Ability to examine and verify accounts and records; Understands wider mechanisms for assurance and scrutiny; Understands the law and best practice relating to anti-bribery and corruption controls and the fraud risks faced by public bodies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, international relations or related fields. Or Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields with two (2) years of experience in lieu of Master’s degree.
- If Bachelor’s degree, a minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in preparing, coordinating, and leading donor reporting processes.
- At least, two (2) years of relevant experience in producing communication material pertaining to humanitarian assistance.
- At least, two (2) years of relevant experience at the (sub)national level in providing communication packages to promote the activities of an international development organization.
- Interview skills and experience are required.
- Proficiency in standard software applications Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required
- Knowledge of interactive storytelling methods is desirable.
- Previous work experience in the humanitarian and/ or development sector such as the UN is an asset.
- A resident of BARMM or Mindanao or willingness to relocate is highly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Fluency in Pilipino
NOTE: This position is open for Philippines nationals only
22 Oct 2022