Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR
• * 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal’s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
GENERAL PURPOSE AND SCOPE: As a member of the Supply Chain group at Austal, will play a role in assisting in the performance and success of the function and the group. Will ensure Austal’s Material and Service Support needs and requirements are met while maintaining a high level of customer service. Transactions will be routine and involve low-dollar negotiations, and low levels of risk.
• Working individually or as part of a team, assisting with the negotiation of short and long-term agreements for raw materials, parts, subassemblies, finished goods, MRO materials, equipment, tooling, supplies and/or services from suppliers.
• Assisting in day-to-day subcontract administration activities.
• Basic Market Research; Assist in Supplier Sourcing; Assist with Basic Price/Cost Analysis
• Issues Purchase Orders.
• Follows up with requesters and end users regarding purchase orders.
• Assisting with Supplier metrics and advising suppliers of their performance.
• Assists in reviewing statements of work material specifications, service contracts, terms and conditions when required.
• Knowing when to escalate issues, or ask for help from, the next level of management in the Supply Chain function.
• Acts as backup liaison and point of contact with the Supplier on formal communications and submittals.
• Acting as backup liaison and point of contact for coordination and communication with all departments on subcontract-related issues.
• Promote continuous improvement in the procurement organization.
• Able to track total spending in category and setting, measuring appropriate savings targets
• Assisting in the gathering of information to evaluate the financial stability, technical capability, process control, capacity and continuous improvement techniques of Suppliers when required.
• Following all Supply Chain policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions including those regarding the procurement of materials and particularly the ability to keep confidential information regarding all purchasing or commodity strategies confidential (and in some cases, within the supply chain function exclusively).
• Maintaining close communication with Supplier account and customer service personnel, and management levels if necessary, so as to minimize risk due to supplier capacity issues, plant shutdowns, and other day-to-day disruptions that may affect Austal and/or open purchase orders.
• Providing assistance to related departments when applicable Conduct Supplier site audits and investigations when required.
• Working under pressure and in some cases, tight deadlines.
• Other duties as assigned by Managers.
• Currently pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Material Management or related field • Currently maintaining a minimum 2.0 overall grade point average (4.0 scale)
• Must be a rising Junior or Senior
• Preferred work experience includes performing: Material and service sourcing activities (quoting, analyzing, negotiating, and reporting supplier rationalization activities (adding/removing suppliers and familiarity with Approved Supplier Lists, Bid Lists, and small business requirements);
• Strong application of excel skills including pivot tables, v-lookups, etc. to manipulate RFQ’s, quotations, presentations, etc.
• The ability to utilize structured thought processes, and anticipate consequences.
• Microsoft Office at the intermediate skill level: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet
• Explorer, Outlook; Access a plus.
• ERP/MRP: IFS preferred; others like BAAN, SAP, JD Edwards and Oracle are acceptable.
• General understanding of the Uniform Commercial Code, U.S. Government FAR, DFARS and ITAR requirements.
• General understanding of enterprise quality system functionality (e.g., ISO 9000, AS9100, TS16949, etc.).
• General understanding of ERP systems and MRP logic.
• The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance may be required if deemed necessary in the scope of your position responsibilities.
• Candidates must meet the following employment eligibility guidelines to be eligible for employment with Austal USA:
• Must be Fully Vaccinated for COVID-19
• 18 years or older at the time of application
• Able to provide proof of US Person status (permanent resident or citizen)
• No felony convictions of theft/deception or violent crimes within seven years from the disposition date
• No felony convictions of drug crimes within three years from the disposition date
• Willing to submit to a drug screen
• Willing to submit to a background check.
The incumbent will be expected to demonstrate creativity and latitude in order to meet the goals and objectives established. Will require the capacity to self-direct and reprioritize activity in order to support business needs and meet deadlines. May be assigned discretionary authority to provide work direction and constructive feedback for other employees within the department. May be expected to provide input to management on the performance of team members that may affect employment actions.
LIAISES WITH: Within Austal: Tactical Buyers, Sr. Purchasing Manager, Senior Director of Supply Chain, Senior Management, Materials Program Managers, Material program staff, Senior Logistics Manager, Compliance Coordinator (Supply Chain), document control and other administrative department personnel. External: Suppliers.
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT INVOLVED
• Basic office machines, PC, copier\scanner, etc.
HOURS OF WORK
• No more than 32 hours per week based on weekly running average.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.