OWSD PhD Fellowships
Empowering Women in Science and Technology Through OWSD PhD Fellowships
OWSD PhD Fellowships Overview
Women scientists from STLCs are given the opportunity to pursue PhD studies in the natural, engineering, and information technology sciences through the OWSD PhD Fellowship programme. A monthly stipend, visa costs, and a yearly medical insurance contribution are all covered by this scholarship.
The programme is given throughout the developing world in conjunction with guest organisations and is managed with considerable funds provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
The initiative is given in collaboration with host institutions all around the developing world and is generously funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The fellowship program’s overarching goal is to support the emergence of a new generation of female scientists and technologists, as well as to encourage their effective engagement in the scientific and technological advancement of their nations.
Objectives of the Fellowship Program:
- Enhancing Access to Education and Training: The OWSD PhD Fellowship program strives to improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from STLCs.
- Boosting Scientific Productivity and Creativity: Another crucial objective is to increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists hailing from STLCs, ensuring they can contribute significantly to their fields.
- Empowering Future Leaders: This fellowship program aims to empower a new generation of talented women to take on leadership roles in the realms of science and technology, paving the way for future advancements.
- Contributing to Sustainable Development: Encouraging women scientists to actively contribute to the sustainable development of their home countries is a central goal of this initiative.
- Promoting Collaboration and Networking: The program facilitates collaboration and networking opportunities for women scientists from the South, fostering connections on both regional and international levels.
Study Scheme Options:
Candidates have the choice between two study schemes:
- Full-Time Fellowship: This option provides a maximum of four years of funding and requires candidates to conduct their research at a host institute in another developing country in the South.
- Sandwich Fellowship: The sandwich fellowship option allows candidates to remain registered as Ph.D. students in their home country while undertaking a portion of their studies at a host institute in another developing country. This scheme involves a minimum of one and a maximum of three research visits at the host institute, with the first visit lasting a minimum of six months. The total duration of all visits to the host institute cannot exceed 20 months, and the funding period is capped at four years.
OWSD PhD Fellowships Summary:
- Level of Study: Ph.D.
- Institution: Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Study Location: Developing Countries
- Program Period:
- Full-Time Fellowship (maximum 4 years funding)
- Sandwich Fellowship (total host institute stay not exceeding 20 months)
Opportunity Focus Areas:
The OWSD PhD Fellowship program covers a wide range of study fields, including but not limited to:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
OWSD PhD Fellowships Coverage:
The OWSD PhD Fellowship provides support while the student is at the host institute and covers:
- A monthly allowance for basic living expenses, including accommodation and meals.
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the fellowship period.
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period.
- Visa expenses.
- Annual medical insurance contribution.
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops (on a competitive basis).
- Study fees, including tuition and registration fees, in collaboration with the chosen host institute, which is also expected to contribute.
The OWSD PhD Fellowship does not cover:
- Bench fees and consumables.
- Support for language training, either before or during the fellowship program.
- Support for the shipment of research samples.
- Costs for personal computer or software purchases.
- Support for family members.
- Additional return tickets to the home country for personal reasons.
Eligibility Criteria for OWSD PhD Fellowships
To be eligible for the OWSD PhD Fellowships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Language Requirement: Proficiency in English.
- Eligible Countries: Check the list of eligible countries.
- Minimum Qualification: An MSc degree in one of the specified study fields.
- Host Institute: Must be located in a developing country in the South (not the candidate’s home country).
- Commitment: Candidates must confirm their intention to return to their home country soon after completing the fellowship.
Applyication Process for OWSD PhD Fellowships
To apply for the OWSD PhD Fellowships, follow these steps:
- Start an application form on the online portal.
- Ensure you upload the required documents, including a Ph.D. research proposal outline, degree certificates and transcripts, curriculum vitae, preliminary acceptance letter from at least one host institution, letter of commitment from the host university, and two reference letters. Additionally, submit a scanned copy of your passport page containing personal details.
- If applying for a SANDWICH study scheme, provide registration and no-objection certificates and a supporting statement from your home supervisor.
To Apply: OWSD PhD Fellowships
For Scholarships in UK:Scholarships in UK
For Scholarships in Australia:Scholarships in Australia