Shell Nigeria Joint Venture University Scholarship Scheme 2016
Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Undergraduate (all degree programs)
Provider: SPDC Joint Venture
Country to Study in: Nigeria
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) Scholarship Scheme offers first year students in all Nigerian universities the opportunity to study with an annual grant from the SPDC Joint Venture for the full duration of their course.
Launched in 1960, this post-secondary scheme is open to all Nigerians studying degree programmes in Nigerian universities. The programme aims to promote academic excellence and improve skills-base among young Nigerians. SPDC is the operator of the NNPC/SHELL/TEPN/AGIP Joint Venture.
The scholarship is offered in two categories – the National Merit Award (NM) and the Areas of Operation Merit Award, East or West (OE or OW).
Eligibility (Who can apply?)
General requirements for all applicants:
- Students must be citizens of Nigeria,
- Currently enrolled in an accredited and approved university in Nigeria, and
- Must have gained admission during the 2014/2015 academic session, and pursuing a first degree programme.
- Have a minimum of seven credits, including Mathematics and English, in their O/Levels.
- Be enrolled full‐time, in a university in Nigeria at the undergraduate level with a minimum grade point average of 3.5 at the time of application
To be eligible to apply for any of the categories, the following must apply:
- National Merit Award (NM) — Open to ALL Nigerians, EXCEPT indigenes of SPDC’s operational areas (in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo and Rivers States.
- Areas of Operation Merit Award, East (OE) — For Nigerians who are indigenes of SPDC’s operational areas in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Imo, Rivers and Bayelsa states (excluding indigenes of Ekeremor and Sagbama local government areas.
- Areas of Operation Merit Award, West (OW) — For Nigerians who are indigenes of SPDC’s operational area in Delta and Bayelsa (from Ekeremor and Sagbama Local Government Areas) States.
Citizens of Nigeria
All accredited and approved Nigerian universities and institutions of higher learning
Fields of study
Any undergraduate level course of study offered at participating institutions
Number of awards
Several – but specific number not specified by provider
For the complete and full duration of the successful applicant’s course
Opportunity to study with an annual grant for the full duration of your course
Method of Application
1). All applicants should have their personal valid email accounts (for consistent communication).
2). Candidates who meet the above entry qualifications should apply online, provide the required personal and educational details, and load scanned copies of the following:
- A recent passport-sized photograph of the applicant (i.e. jpeg format, not more than 200kilobytes);
- University or JAMB (UTME or D/E) Admission Letter;
- Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) Scores;
- ‘O’ Level Result(s); and ‘A’ Level /OND /NCE Result(s) as applicable; and
- Letter of Identification from State (showing Local Government) of Origin.
3). Scanned copies of letters of identification, (which must be duly stamped and signed) by:
- The Paramount Ruler of the Community; and
- The Chairman of the Community Development or Executive Council (CDC or CEC) is also required of applicants for the Operational Area Awards (OE & OW). The letters should be addressed to The Manager, Sustainable Development (UIO/G/NRS), Shell Petroleum Development Company, Port Harcourt.
Document size must not exceed 200KB and the image format must be JPG.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) to start your electronic application.
Applications should be submitted online before Friday 18th September, 2015.
Multiple applications attract a disqualification penalty from the Scholarship board
Shell does not demand payment from applicants. The application is entirely FREE of charge.
Shell does not assign ‘Representatives’/‘Agents’ to assist applicants’ process applications.
SPDC’s scholarship programmes are as advertised in national newspapers and on the company website www.shell.com.ng wherein prospective candidates are advised on the medium of submission of applications. These applications are then processed by SPDC and the outcome communicated directly to the candidates.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please be guided accordingly
Application Deadline: 18 September 2015
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
The University Scholarship Scheme Information