TWAS-IACS Fellowship Program for Developing Countries Scholars in India, 2014
For young scientists from developing countries (other than India) who wish to pursue postgraduate and postdoctoral research in certain fields of natural sciences at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) in Kolkata, India. Fields include: biological chemistry, condensed matter physics, inorganic chemistry, materials science, non-conventional energy, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, polymer science, spectroscopy and theoretical physics.
- Fellowships are awarded in the field of natural sciences. Fields include: biological chemistry, condensed matter physics, inorganic chemistry, materials science, non-conventional energy, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, polymer science, spectroscopy and theoretical physics.
- Fellowships are available for pursuing research at postgraduate and postdoctoral level at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS).
- TWAS-IACS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) for a period of up to four years for studies leading to a PhD degree. TWAS-IACS Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months.
- IACS will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from a department of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection. Applicants to the TWAS-IACS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application both to TWAS (by post, fax or email) and IACS (hard copy only).
- Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
-be a maximum age of 30 years for postgraduate and 40 years for postdoctoral on 31 December of the application year;
-hold a master/PhD degree in a field of natural sciences;
-be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
-must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country;
-be regularly employed in a developing country (other than India) and hold a research assignment there;
-provide an official Acceptance Letter from a department of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) (see sample Acceptance Letter in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Dean-Academic Prof. Sreebrata Goswami by e-mail (icsg-at-iacs.res.in) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Goswami applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
-provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Citizens of developing countries (other than India) Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for these research fellowships.
The application deadline is 31st August 2014.