Vienna International Postdoctoral Program
Vienna International Postdoctoral Program Overview
Take up your studies in Austria. happy news The Vienna International Postdoctoral Program is now accepting applications. In this article, we’ll go into great detail regarding this fellowship program, its advantages, and how to apply.
International students are eligible for fully supported scholarships under the Vienna International Postdoctoral Program 2023–2024. The benefits of the postdoctoral fellowship include a gross yearly salary of 70 040 EUR, comprehensive health insurance, and additional support for each kid ranging from 110 to 170 EUR per month.
Candidates with expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, and bioinformatics are eligible for the three-year VIP2 postdoctoral fellowship program at the Vienna BioCenter (VBC). The program uses a two-mentor system, in which fellows choose a primary research group and academic mentor based on their individual projects, and are then assisted by a second mentor from the VBC research institutes, the VBC biotech sector, our alumni network, and elsewhere.
A stepping stone to a self-sufficient professional path, the Vienna International Postdoctoral Program chooses participants whose studies have the potential to grow into distinct research lines. Inter-lab and interdisciplinary projects are strongly encouraged.
In addition to providing an excellent atmosphere for research, the Vienna International Postdoctoral Program offers a structured training and career development program based on the motto “Inform, Inspire, Innovate.”
A research environment that promotes independence and achievement in science. Effective career planning and mentoring with a two-mentor system. The VIP2 Advisory Board’s (VAB) mentoring and coaching. A comprehensive training course on transferable and research-related skills. An introduction to the postdoctoral training’s secondment program An introduction to a varied network of esteemed professionals.
- Level of Study: Postdoctoral
- Institution(s): Vienna BioCenter
- Study Location: Austria
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Click here to explore available Postdoctoral positions.
- Program Duration: Three years
The Vienna International Postdoctoral Program offers recipients an array of attractive benefits:
- Salary: Each fellow receives a yearly gross salary of 70,040 EUR paid in 14 installments (12 months plus one Christmas and one holiday bonus, following Austrian law).
- Full health insurance.
- Social security benefits, including fully paid maternity leave (16 weeks), the possibility of paid parental leave (up to 24 months), pension contributions, and accident insurance.
- Families receive additional support for each child (“Familienbeihilfe”), ranging from 110 – 170 EUR per month per child, depending on their age.
- Tax deductions are applicable to single-income families.
- Mechanisms are in place to contribute to the relocation costs of the fellows. [More information here](insert relocation costs link).
Eligibility Criteria for Vienna International Postdoctoral Program
To qualify for the Vienna International Postdoctoral Program, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: Open to applicants from all countries worldwide.
- Applicants must hold a PhD in life sciences or related disciplines, such as physics, engineering, chemistry, computer science, or mathematics.
- The proposed scientific project must align with the research conducted on campus, and applicants should name one or more potential host groups.
- Interdisciplinary and inter-lab projects are highly encouraged.
- Candidates are encouraged to communicate with their preferred mentor(s) before and during the composition of their individual research projects.
- Applicants must have at least one first-author publication or manuscript published on bioRxiv or arXiv.
- By the application deadline (15 June), candidates must also undertake transnational mobility according to the Marie Curie Action, meaning they should not have resided in or conducted their main activity (work, studies) in Austria for more than 12 months in the three years immediately preceding the call deadline. [More information here](insert transnational mobility link).
How to Apply for Vienna International Postdoctoral Program
Follow these steps to apply for the Vienna International Postdoctoral Program:
- Click here to apply and provide the following information:
- Personal details: name, contact information, current place of education/employment.
- Main scientific area (choose one from the 7 areas at the VBC) and up to 5 keywords.
- DOI of at least one first-author publication or manuscript.
- Contact details for two referees. The system will send automatic emails to referees with instructions. At least one reference letter must be uploaded into the system BEFORE submitting the application.
- Attach the following documents:
- CV with details of education, scientific training starting from Bachelor’s degree, honors, etc.
- PDFs of transcripts and certificates of training.
- A five-page project proposal aligned with the aims of the host lab.
- A one-page explanation of the project written for the public, outlining its societal impact.
- Written proof (letter or email) from the chosen group leader indicating support for the application.
- If accepted, you will proceed to the next phase, which is the on-site interview.
Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity to elevate your postdoctoral research career at the Vienna BioCenter. Subscribe to our Facebook page for the latest scholarship opportunities, and explore other programs like the Princeton Society of Fellows Postdoctoral Fellowships, offering a competitive salary of approximately $88,800 per year. Your journey to impactful research starts here!
For More Scholarships in UK:
For Scholarships in Australia: