Legatum Fellowship Program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in USA 2015
The Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship is inviting applications for Legatum fellowship available for incoming and current MIT students, across all academic and professional disciplines. Students currently enrolled as sophomores or juniors at MIT may apply to become a Legatum Fellow for the upcoming class. Fellowships are awarded to the applicants who are committed to pursuing a startup in a low-income country after graduating from MIT. Funds awarded have ranged from $5,000 to $50,000 for the length of the Fellowship. The application deadline is January 22, 2015.
- Fellowship is awarded in all subjects available at MIT. The program includes: Building knowledge and skills for successful entrepreneurship in developing economies, Domain experts and mentors to provide general guidance, encouragement, or specialized advice on an as-needed basis, Special case studies and other curriculum highlighting aspiring and successful entrepreneurs in low-income countries, Exposure to an extensive entrepreneurial ecosystem of investors, entrepreneurs, potential partners, and new technologies related to development and entrepreneurship.
- Fellowships are available for students enrolled in MIT graduate degree program or a current sophomore, junior or graduate students at MIT.
- The Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA is providing these Fellowships.
Eligibility: Each applicant must be:
-An applicant for a graduate degree program at MIT or a student currently enrolled as a sophomore, junior, or graduate student at MIT
-Enrolled as an MIT student for the duration of the Fellowship
– Committed to pursuing a startup in a low-income country after graduating from MIT
- US and international students are eligible for these Legatum fellowships.
- The Legatum Center administers a fellowship program for incoming and current MIT students, across all academic and professional disciplines, who demonstrate the potential to create innovative, sustainable, for-profit enterprises that promote prosperity in low-income countries. Students who are committed to implementing business plans upon graduation are encouraged to apply.
- There is not a set number of Fellowships.
- Fellowships are awarded for one year. The Legatum Fellowship follows the typical MIT academic year. It begins in the fall semester and ends at the end of the spring semester.
- The scholarship amount awarded to each new Fellow is determined by several factors, including the number of new Fellows and the pool of funding available for that academic year. In general, funds awarded have ranged from $5,000 to $50,000 for the length of the Fellowship. The Legatum Fellowship financial award can only be applied towards MIT educational expenses, such as tuition, stipend and/or medical insurance. Funds from the Legatum Center may be received to supplement, but not to duplicate, financial awards from other MIT departments or from other foundations, institutions, or organizations. The combined financial award from all sources may not exceed the maximum limitation as prescribed by MIT’s cost-of-attendance budget.
- The Fellowships will be awarded to applicants based on merit of the application and the entrepreneurial project submitted. The Legatum Fellowship Selection Committee will review all applications received to determine the strongest candidates to receive the Fellowships.
- A committee will examine all applications and finalists will be contacted to arrange an interview. Whenever possible, Fellowship finalists are interviewed in person. For those finalists based outside of the United States or unable to visit campus, interviews will be conducted by phone or Skype. All applicants will be notified by April 17, 2015.
- All candidates for the Legatum Fellowship are required to submit an online application and one letter of recommendation. However if you are unable to access the online application for technical reasons, you may request a hard copy application. There is a two-step process that can be completed concurrently or one at a time. Please keep in mind the respective application deadlines for the Legatum Fellowship and MIT degree programs: Apply for the Legatum Fellowship and apply for admission to a graduate degree program at MIT (MBA, SM, PhD, etc.). Deadlines for application to MIT vary by department.
- The application deadline is January 22, 2015.
Further Official Scholarship Information and Application
Share this scholarship for others