NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship
Unlock Your Research Potential with NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship in Genetics
NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship Overview
A fully financed grant for international students is the NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship. Up to three years from the first day of employment are allowed for employment, with annual reappointments.
A yearly salary of around 4,100,000 JPY, tax included, will be provided as well as compensation insurance, a commuting allowance, and health insurance through a cooperative society.
The National Institute of Genetics (hereinafter referred to as “NIG” or “the Institute”) hires young, promising researchers as NIG postdoctoral research fellows (hereinafter referred to as “NIG postdocs”) and involves them in research activities at the facility for a limited period of time with the goal of advancing research at NIG and fostering researchers with exceptional research skills.
The National Institute of Genetics (NIG) was founded in 1949 by the Ministry of Education for the integrated and practical study of genetic theory and fundamental research, as well as for its instruction and promotion.
- Level of Study: Postdoctoral
- Institution(s): National Institute of Genetics
- Study in: Japan
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Genome Informatics, Biological, Plant Genetics, Evolutionary Genetics, Ecological Genetics, DNA Data Analysis, Population Genetics, Symbiosis and Cell Evolution, Model Fish Genetics, Multicellular Organization, Brain Function, Molecular and Developmental Biology, Cell Dynamics and Signaling, Plant Cytogenetics, Mammalian Neural Circuits, Microbial Physiology, Mouse Genomics Resource, Epigenomics, Molecular Cell Engineering, Genome Dynamics, Cell Architecture, Invertebrate Genetics, Quantitative Mechanobiology, Systems Neuroscience, Chromosome Biochemistry.
- Program Period: Up to 3 years from the initial date of hire with reappointment on an annual basis.
- Deadline: July 05
NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship Coverage
The NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship at the National Institute of Genetics offers:
- An annual salary of approximately 4,100,000 JPY, including tax.
- Mutual society of health insurance.
- Commuting allowance (conditional).
- Employment insurance coverage.
- Compensation insurance.
Eligibility Criteria for NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship
To qualify for the NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship at the National Institute of Genetics in Japan, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries.
- Possess sufficient research skills for genetics research projects.
- Hold a Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) or expect to obtain one before the arrival date at the institute.
- Individuals who have been enrolled at NIG in the past as of March 31, 2023, are not eligible to apply. This includes current/former postdocs, technical staff at NIG, or graduate students at the Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI. Temporal visits, such as internships, are not considered.
- NIG postdoctoral fellows are expected to contribute to the NIG research community actively, participate in NIG Poster Sessions, NIG Retreats, and NIG colloquia.
- Research plans requiring long-term stays at institutes/universities outside NIG are generally not accepted.
- Postdoctoral fellows must make a presentation of their achievements at the NIG colloquium at the end of the employment period.
- Publications resulting from the fellowship must acknowledge the support from the NIG postdoctoral grant.
To apply for the NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship at the National Institute of Genetics in Japan, follow these instructions:
- Send PDF files of the required documents via email after consulting with your prospective PI (Principal Investigator) about your research project. Visit the NIG website for contact details and research outlines of recruiting PIs.
- Prepare the required documents (Form 1 to 4) in the specified forms available for download. Ensure that applications are filled out in Japanese or English, figures can be inserted, and color can be used in Format 2 and 4. Do not change the layout, size (A4), or number of pages.
- Include two reference letters from your Supervisor and Host PI.
- Send the merged files in a single PDF file to this email: [email protected].